Wait Too Late: Who pissed off Lizzie Esau?

Lizzie Esau in a black dress standing in front of a red car

Lizzie Esau is an artist I have admired for years. I vaguely remember hearing demos when she was a budding singer-songwriter, I think while I was doing student radio, and then being hooked when she made a backed-by-band reintroduction in 2020 while I was working for BBC Music Introducing

As I was on my way out of Introducing, a number of artists from the North East were beginning to break onto national radars with radio play and tours aplenty. One of my big regrets of leaving Intro was not being able to fully see the completion of the likes of Lizzie Esau's growth beyond the region. 

I've always kept tabs on Lizzie's releases but this time pressing play felt like a new experience. 

Those synths. Those riffs. That energy

Who pissed off Lizzie Esau? 

The government, environmental crisis and the wars being waged around the world appear to be the answer to that. 

When I was raving about What If I Just Kept Driving, I would have never expected a song like Wait Too Late to come from the same artist - but I'm glad it has. 

Rumour has it, Lizzie opens up her shows with this sonic scream of frustration. I'm not sure I remember it from seeing her at The Cluny and Carnival House many years ago now, but I guess that's an excuse to make sure I catch her next time she's in Newcastle. 

Photo Credit: Storm Hudspith Walker

Comments